About the Humble Beginnings of
Hursey's Bar-B-Q & Catering
Hursey’s Bar-B-Q all began in 1945 when Sylvester Hursey took his father's method of preparing hickory smoked pork; over a homemade pit in the back yard and developed his recipe for the infamous Hursey’s “secret sauce”. With the help of his wife Daisy they began selling the delicious Bar-B-Q to friends and neighbors and thus began Hursey’s Bar-B-Q.
As their business outgrew their home, Sylvester and Daisy purchased a cafe on the corner of Piedmont St. in Gibsonville, NC. They added two large pits to the establishment to accommodate the growing demand for their barbecue. In 1949, the first license ever granted by the state of North Carolina to a barbecue wholesaler was framed and hung proudly on the walls of the cafe.
In 1957 a second Hursey’s Bar-B-Q location was opened on Rauhut street in Burlington, NC.
Sylvester had dreams of his two sons one day taking over the business. Luckily his eldest son fell in love early and began to learn the business by helping his parents during summers and after school. His first official position was as a carhop. In 1960, he joined his parents in their business full time - operating the retail cafe and managing the wholesale. In 1966, Charles took over the Burlington location on Rauhut Street.
Since then the Hursey’s Bar-B-Q family and business has grown. There are six Hursey’s Bar-B-Q locations in the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina including a brand new state of the art catering kitchen located in Burlington, NC.